High School education in our local area needs to change for the better.
Parents are calling out for more choice when it comes to where they send their kids and what kind of educational institutions are available to local families.
Local students, teachers and parents want to see the option of a Year 7-12 co-educational high school made available to ensure that there is more choice when it comes to what kind of schools are available in the local area.
I have heard countless stories of families sending their kids to schools outside of the area to attend a co-educational high school or moving out of the area entirely to adhere to new catchment rules.
Before the last election, the former Coalition Government and the NSW Department of Education went out for consultation with parents, students and teachers about what they would like the GRC school network to look like.
With the change of Government I am speaking with Minister for Education, Prue Car MP about continuing this process towards a 7-12 co-educational high school in our local area.
I recently asked a question of the Minister in Parliament which you can see below:
|Coure, Mark to the Deputy Premier, Minister for Education and Early Learning, and Minister for Western Sydney|
(1) Does the Government have any plans for a Year 7-12 co-educational high school in my electorate?
(2) Will the Government transition Georges River College – Peakhurst Campus into a 7-12 co-educational high school?
(3) Will the Government transition Georges River College – Penshurst Girls Campus into a 7-12 single-sex high school?
(4) Will the Government transition Georges River College – Hurstville Boys Campus into a 7-12 single-sex high school?
(5) Will the Government maintain Georges River College – Oatley Senior Campus as an 11-12 co-educational high school specialising in Higher School Certificate (HSC) learning?
The Government is committed to providing guaranteed access to a co-educational public high school for all students in NSW, including in the Oatley electorate. Work to on the plan to deliver this commitment is underway and will be delivered for all secondary students in this term of government.
Updates will be shared with local communities as work progresses.
I will continue to advocate on behalf of our community to ensure that our kids receive the best education possible!