The NSW Government is taking a staged and flexible approach to the easing of restrictions as part of the State’s measured response to managing the impacts of COVID-19.
From today, Friday 18 February 2022, the following adjustments have been made to the State’s COVID-19 settings:
- No density limits (previously one person per 2sqm for hospitality venues).
- QR check-ins are only required for nightclubs, and for all music festivals with more than 1,000 people. Hospitals, aged and disability facilities may use their existing
systems for recording visitors.
- Singing and dancing is permitted at all venues, except music festivals, where singing and dancing can recommence from 25 February.
- The recommendation to work from home has changed and is now at an employer’s discretion.
From Friday, 25 February 2022, the following adjustments will be made to the settings:
- Masks will only be mandated on public transport, planes and indoors at airports, hospitals, aged and disability care facilities, correctional facilities and indoor music
festivals with more than 1,000 people.
- Masks are encouraged for indoor settings where you cannot maintain a safe distance from others and for customer facing retail staff to protect vulnerable people who must access these premises and services.
- Each State Government agency will review where it may be appropriate for publicfacing staff to wear masks and will implement as necessary.
- The 20,000 person cap on music festivals will be removed, with singing and dancing permitted. Vaccination requirements will remain for indoor music festivals over 1,000 people, with attendees required to have at least two doses of a COVID-19 vaccine.
Hotel quarantine for unvaccinated returning travellers will be reduced from 14 to 7 days from 21 February.
With hospitalisation and ICU rates easing and booster uptake now above 50 per cent, a staged return of non-urgent elective surgery across all NSW public hospitals has
commenced and will be increased through February and March.
Member for Oatley, Mark Coure, said these eased restrictions were part of the NSW Government’s measured approach to reopening safely.
“These eased restrictions have been based on the health advice provided by NSW Health and it is still so important that we are all remaining alert and vigilant,” Mr Coure said.
“I want to thank our incredible frontline health staff who have worked tirelessly throughout the pandemic to keep people safe. I also want to encourage anyone who is yet to do so, to speak to their GP about getting vaccinated and their booster shot.”
Premier, Dominic Perrottet, said the NSW Government is continuing to adopt a flexible and measured approach to protect the community and our health system.
“We do not want restrictions in place for any longer than necessary and with hospitalisation and ICU rates trending downwards, now is the right time to make sensible changes,” Premier Perrottet said.
“As we continue to move forward out of the pandemic, we are ensuring that we keep people safe and people in jobs so life can return to normal as quickly and safely as possible.”
Minister for Health, Brad Hazzard, said we need everyone to play their part as we deal with the challenges that the pandemic will continue to throw at us.
“As we are moving more into the endemic stage of the COVID-19 pandemic, these changes are giving us more of our old life back but it still makes a lot of sense for us all to be cautious,” Minister Hazzard said.
“The best outcome is still to avoid getting the virus by protecting yourself, your family and the broader community.”
People aged 16 years and older can receive their booster dose at three months after receiving their second dose of any of the COVID-19 vaccines.
For more information and to book your booster shot, please visit: